Friday, February 27, 2009

A sense of Wonder



On March 1st, a new documentary on Rachel Carson's life will be released. You can view the trailer on the the film's website. Her words began a movement. Yet what astounds me, and was one major reason I even began Eco-Mamas and Papas, is how prevalent the use of lawn chemicals still is in this country. What have we learned from her words? Outlawing DDT is not the end of it. A fantastic question from the trailer is:

"Is it possible to lay down this barrage of poisons on the surface of the earth without making the earth unfit for ALL life?"

If we could see the interconnectedness of all things more clearly, we would never lay down these poisons on the earth.

I recently read that one in three people in North America will get cancer. A friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer last month.

Can we just learn to love dandelions? Maybe make some tea or wine from them? It just seems so much easier to develop a sense of wonder for nature instead of trying to control it.

1 comment:

Evan said...

YES, YES, YES!!!

My family and I pick weeds and then compost them. I'll take yard with an extra weed in it over a chemically treated yard any day.

Embrace yourself, we're about to enter prime spraying season in the Northeast, there are going to be little yellow flags everywhere. "Keep kids and pets indoors."

I'm not going to make wine out of my dandelions though. mine will become crafts with the kids like greeting cards, hair accessories, jewelry, etc..